- This event has passed.
Stop the Bleed
January 9, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree
presented by Andrew S. McCague, DO, FACOS, FACS
American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma determined that there may be a delay between time of injury and time first responder is on the scene. Without intervention by civilians, preventable deaths will occur. Medical professionals need to know what civilians might do in instances of mass trauma; they must be exposed to this program to ensure appropriate care is delivered in the case where civilians have already initiated treatment.
- Save lives by utilizing tools to control life-threatening hemorrhage, whether it is caused by unintentional injury, crash, violence or natural disaster;
- Discuss the rationale for early use of a tourniquet for life-threatening extremity bleeding.
- Demonstrate the appropriate application of a tourniquet to the arm and leg.
- Demonstrate the correct application of a topical hemostatic dressing (combat gauze).
- Recognize when a patient has been treated using the “Stop the Bleed” protocols and initiate further treatment appropriately.