- This event has passed.
California End-of-Life Option Act
July 19, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree
with Catherine S. Forest, MD, MPH
California recently became the fifth state to legalize assisted suicide. The new law, called the End of Life Option Act, will become effective January 1, 2016. The law allows adults to receive and aid-in-dying drug from their physician if the physician determines they are suffering from a terminal disease. Physicians need to know the implications of this law, and how to talk with and treat patients who are terminally ill.
- Identify the steps required by the patient and physician regarding requests for the aid-in-dying drug.
- Demonstrate the new forms that need to be completed and filed.
- Define which vulnerable patient populations will not be able to request the aid-in-dying drug.
- Evaluate the physician’s right to participate and right to choose not to participate.
- Recognize cultural issues related to end-of-life care.